ffs, it's getting to be time to talk X-of-the-Year stuff, isn't it?
— Homicidol Maniac (@homicidols) October 5, 2016
I’ve known for a little while that I wanted to do something cool and fun and laden with opportunities to argue when it came to doing a rundown of all of the best stuff that happened in 2016, and I think I’ve finally cracked the nut for the best way to do it. Only took two weeks!
Essentially, I want to pit you against me: While democratizing the process of selecting the best of the best and giving community awards, I’m also going to butt in with my own stupid opinions; if it comes to it, we’ll go so far as to settle it like adults (that is, with violence and recrimination). And although there’s a lot of general community overlap at this point, we can and almost certainly will use this stuff to get into fantastic flame wars with other sites and groups and stuff.
Our first step? We need nominations. I have my own short lists for all of these categories, but I want yours, too. In the following categories, as many as you’re comfortable advancing nominees in, add your nominees, two per category, in the comments.
- Album of the Year (includes actual EPs)
- Single of the Year (includes maxi-singles)
- Song of the Year
- B-side of the Year
- Video of the Year (MV/PV/long-form)
- Collaboration of the Year
- Idol/s of the Year (solo or groups)
- Performer of the Year (individual, regardless of solo or group member)
- Performance of the Year (single stage show)
- Debut of the Year
- Surprise of the Year (defined as you see fit)
- Letdown of the Year (ditto!)
General ground rules:
- There’s a question afoot about whether debut is that of the idol/group, or of their official debut release (see comment below for context). If you have an opinion on that, please do add it.
- But as long as “it” happened in 2016, whatever “it” is, it’s eligible.
- For music and video stuff definitely, and as applicable as you see fit for other categories, you do have to include links that everybody can access; let me know if something is geoblocked, and I can host it differently.
- 2016 is indeed still going! Because this is additionally Phase II-related, I’ve added a thread in the forums where nominations can continue right up until it’s time to make decisions.
- I did consider breaking some of these out in a finer sense around genre/style, but there ultimately wasn’t enough to have reasonable competition in each, so I’m keeping it general. If you disagree, please do say so in the thread.
- Got questions? Go ahead and ask.
- As far as inclusion goes, try to keep it to things that have appeared on this site, though we can entertain anything that meets the common interest.
- If you can, please try to avoid duplication within categories; we want breadth and depth at this stage.
As far as how, where and whether we cap nominees in any particular category, I’ll leave that up to the us, so put your thoughts on the matter into the thread. That’s a place for logistics and whatnot to get discussed.
Also, feel free to (and please do) share this widely; input, it is good. I’m leaving this pinned through the weekend, but it’ll be effectively open until we move on to the next step.
The space is yours, friends. Have at it.