It’s been a little while since I’ve referenced Phase II and made a bunch of mouth-off-shooting promises about it, but some things happened and damn it all, I only have so much time around here. But we are getting closer to being able to try out a few things, and, with the Homicidols Census results being what they were, our options are actually pretty wide open.
So. You may have seen that Maison Book Girl is in Canada:
You may also wonder why I don’t do anything with MBG on here, and the answer is a good one; ask me later
That’s great for Maison Book Girl; usually, idols need to be pretty widely popular among J-music people (or popular, period), or attachable to somebody else’s tour, to be able to visit North America. Aiming for Western audiences takes investment that, with evidence of support often lacking, is difficult to reckon in an industry with as narrow of margins as idol.
But that’s always been the point of this here website, actively connecting artists with new fans by making use of the fact that there actually are a lot of us, and we can make a difference if we’re able to work together. I’m weighing what you might call strategic considerations, how and where would be the best to connect, and there’s always the question of Who.
I don’t know if trying to make it work with one particular test case or a small group or groups across the board or what is the right best first look, but I do know that we need to have some kind of consensus around the best candidates to try to promote more widely than our community.
A few of you are familiar with my line of questioning on this because I’ve pinged you for opinions at different times. It’s a simple question: Out of this whole alt-/heavy-idol universe, out of the idols that we sort of collectively find interesting, who has the most viability among Westerners?
A few points on methodology before the poll:
- I realize that “the West” is really big and heterogenous; just bear with me
- The criteria for selection for this list were general popularity on the site and (less scientifically) in other online community spaces, like Facebook
- To have an even 10, I applied a little of my own personal taste to the question
- But because I don’t want this to be about me, there’s an option to select something that you personally feel is a better option than what’s presented, and that’ll count the same as anything else
- You can only select once per submission, but I encourage everybody to consider all angles, which may mean having a short list; if that’s the case, just stick it in the comments
- Keep in mind that not only will any idol’s point of entry to Western audiences will be within a particular scene or niche, but they might not be able to leave that — like, a good argument could be made that, their diverse fan base aside, Babymetal is still just a metal thing
- This poll isn’t going to be a solo decider of anything; it’s for input as much as anything, so please do share your thoughts
- Consider all aspects of an idol or group when selection. The music has to be first and foremost, but how they perform, present themselves, behave, etc.
If you have questions, just go ahead and ask. I’ll leave this up for a few days.