It’s been almost an entire month since we had something to argue about and anguish over, and the Corenament is now well behind us, so I thought it was about the right time to kick off something that had been in my notes from this site’s moment of conception.
Yep, accidentally and backwards* taking a page from New School Kaidan, we’re going to do some monthly power rankings. And I do mean “we”: This site isn’t a whole lot of fun if it’s just Maniac being all “this is what I think so screw you guys;” I instead turn to the
bunch of drunks and misfits wonderfully knowledgeable and absolutely polite and on-point fans to make this list go.
Use this embedded list to get yourself all worked into a lather that your personal favorite is ranked behind HOW COULD YOU DO THIS MANIAC?!, then either click “rank your version” at the bottom or head on over here to rank ’em yourself!
Things to consider:
- Next Friday, May 6, I’ll publish the results as the Homicidol 25 for May.
- The list is currently based on the Corenament results (so participants make up the top 16), plus a general who-gets-the-most-traffic measure of other groups who have featured prominently on the site, with an emphasis on recent activity.
- Those ranks are based on actual numbers, which is why Babymetal, in addition to being the most talked-about thing in rock right now, are starting in the top spot despite their Corenament disqualification.
- This is not a most-fans competition! Because it’s a rolling thing that we’ll revisit fairly frequently, the idea is to base it on:
- Current releases, and their rough popularity
- Recent videos, and their level of amazeballsness
- Controversial things like Haruno Megumi leaving Mugen Regina because she prefers her performance to be as unimpeded by clothing as possible
- Performance frequency, touring and/or really big shows
- Competitions like Tokyo Candoll
- Note that none of those things is “I like them a lot.” Be objective. It will expand your horizons. I promise.
- Not a small number of idols either featured on the site or beloved of the site are not on the list! That’s because they haven’t done much lately or got very little love for what they did do. If you’re a big Haloperi Doll or Deep Girl or Under Beasty supporter …
- Do you think this preliminary list is full of crap? Use the comments on this post to make the case that so-and-so should be in the top 25; if you agree with somebody else, say so. I’ll be comparing those results to the rank totals to see if somebody merits cracking the top 25.